Have someone offered you some funny smelling incentive package to close an offshoring deal? You may not be alone… I just run across an interesting article, not specific to offshore outsourcing but very relevant though. Bribe Paying Export Countries by Daniel Workman talks about some unusual stats – “The 2008 Bribe Payers Index ranks the likelihood of importers receiving illegal monetary incentives from leading export countries.” Here are the highlights
Countries Most Likely To Offer Payola
Final results from the 2008 Transparency International survey rank export companies from Russia, China, Mexico and India as most likely to bribe.
1. Russia … 5.9 (33% more likely to bribe than Canada or Belgium)
2. China …6.5 (26.1% more likely)
3. Mexico … 6.6 (25% more likely)
4. India … 6.8 (22.5% more likely)
5. Brazil … 7.4 (15.9% more likely)
Countries Least Likely To Grant Illegal Incentives
The BPI survey ranked Canada and Belgium as home to exporting firms perceived as more ethical and therefore apt to avoid illegal payoffs.
1. Canada … 8.8
2. Belgium … 8.8
3. Switzerland … 8.7 (1.1% more likely to bribe than Canada or Belgium)
4. Netherlands … 8.7 (1.1% more likely)
5. United Kingdom … 8.6 (2.3% more likely)
See more figures and supporting material in the original article TI Report: Emerging economic giants show high levels of corporate bribery overseas.